Get San Antonio, TX Home Insurance Rates!
San Antonio is an absolute gem and a beautiful place to visit and live. It is bursting with history and culture with landmarks such as the Riverwalk and our world famous Alamo and Spanish Missions
Family fun is always close by in San Antonio. Taking in all the Riverwalk has to offer is a great way to spend a lazy Saturday or if you in the mood for something a bit more thrilling you can hit Sea World or Six Flags. When its time to eat, San Antonio has plenty of world-class restaurants to choose from to cap off a great day.
Living is San Antonio is a daily adventure and if you are thinking about making San Antonio your home we highly recommend it. Following is everything you need to know about living in the San Antonio area.
San Antonio Facts
While you may think San Antonio is a quaint historical town, it is actually the second largest city in Texas and the seventh largest city in the United States. Roughly, 1,327,407 people call San Antonio home, which breaks down to 9,475 households per zip code. The average number of people in each household is 3 although that number will vary depending on the type of housing.
Housing is San Antonio is very affordable with the average house value being $105,700, making it fairly easy to purchase a home. Another bright spot in the San Antonio area is the average household income which is $50,995 putting it above the national average.
The median list price per square foot in San Antonio is $114 and home prices have stayed steady over the last year and are predicted to stay roughly the same over the coming year.
Homeowners Insurance in San Antonio
While housing is very affordable, homeowners insurance tends to be expensive in San Antonio and most of Texas for that matter. According to a recent study, Texas is the second most expensive state in the country when it comes to homeowners insurance rates with an average premium of $1,947. This compares poorly with the national average of $1,132.
While homeowners insurance is expensive in San Antonio, there are a few things you can do to help keep your premium affordable.
- Shop Yearly: This is the best way to lower your insurance costs. Shop your coverage on a yearly basis to make sure you are getting the best deal. Experts recommend getting quotes from at least five insurers. Insurance companies rate risk differently, which is why premium quotes can vary dramatically. Always shop the same coverage levels and deductibles.
- Save with Discounts: Almost every insurance company offers discounts to their customers and utilizing all available discounts can dramatically lower your insurance costs. Common discounts include bundling, going paperless and adding a security system. Ask your agent to do a home insurance discount review to make sure you are getting all available discounts on your policy.
- Bundle it Up: Buying your home, auto and life insurance from the same insurer can result in a big discount. Bundling discounts vary but 20 to 25 percent is fairly common. If you insurer doesn't offer a bundling discount it may be time to shop your coverage.
- Secure Your Home: Adding a monitored security system will not only protect your home, it will result in a discount on your insurance. Discounts vary but 20 percent is not uncommon. Installing storm shutters or a sprinkler system is another great way to get a discount on your premium.
Factors to Consider in San Antonio
Local crime rates will impact homeowner insurance premiums. San Antonio falls in the middle when it comes to crime rates, its certainly not the most dangerous city in Texas, its not the safest either. According to Neighborhoodscout.com, San Antonio has 5.86 violent crimes per 1,000 residents while the average in Texas is 4.12 and the national median is 3.8.
When it comes crime, all neighborhoods are not created equal. When shopping for a new home always check crime rates in any areas that you are considering and if the crime rate is too high its best to keep looking in a different area.
While San Antonio is not on the coast, severe weather can still be a threat. Replacing your roof with wind resistant materials will often result in a discount while also making your home safer during a major storm.
If you are currently shopping for a new San Antonio homeowners insurance policy we can help you find the best policy at a great price. The process is not only free, but also quick and easy. Our insurance partners are top rated carriers who have been in business for several decades and will provide you with the best rates available.
Compare Homeowners Insurance Rates in San Antonio, TX!
Get up to 12 competitive San Antonio, TX homeowners insurance rates all in one place!
About Our Service in Texas
We are providing the most competitive homeowners insurance rates in Texas. Our quoting process is very quick and easy to use when you want to compare over 16 competitive rates all in one place. Our office is located in the heart of Austin, Texas and we are ready to help you compare the most affordable home insurance options and discounts with the most enhanced coverage options. Our rates will be generated from companies like: American Risk Insurance, Bankers Insurance Group, Centauri, Cypress Texas Insurance, Encompass Insurance, GeoVera Specialty, Gulfstream Property & Casualty, Home Owners of America, Lighthouse Property Insurance, Mission Select, TWICO, Universal North America (UIHNA), United property and casualty, Wellington, American Modern, Safeco and many more. Let us help you shop the lowest Texas rates available, start your quote online now or give us a call at 877-480-7274. We look forward to working with you!
Average Rates Nearby San Antonio
Are you looking for homeowners insurance in a city near San Antonio? Review coverage options and average rates in your area by clicking your city below. We can help you shop home insurance rates!
- Adkins, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Atascosa, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Converse, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Elmendorf, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Helotes, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Jbsa Ft Sam Houston, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Jbsa Lackland, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Jbsa Randolph, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Saint Hedwig, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Somerset, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Universal City, TX Home Insurance Quotes
- Von Ormy, TX Home Insurance Quotes
Home Insurance Rates by Zipcode in San Antonio, TX
Easily review average rates and get multiple homeowners insurance quotes by clicking your zip code below located in San Antonio.
78201, 78202, 78203, 78204, 78205, 78207, 78208, 78209, 78210, 78211, 78212, 78213, 78214, 78215, 78216, 78217, 78218, 78219, 78220, 78221, 78222, 78223, 78224, 78225, 78226, 78227, 78228, 78229, 78230, 78231, 78232, 78233, 78235, 78237, 78238, 78239, 78240, 78242, 78243, 78244, 78245, 78247, 78248, 78249, 78250, 78251, 78252, 78253, 78254, 78255, 78256, 78257, 78258, 78259, 78260, 78261, 78263, 78264, 78266,
San Antonio, TX Home Insurance Average Premiums
For the city of San Antonio, homeowners insurance rates may vary on deductible, coverage amount and property details. Below is a list of the averages based on the cost of an annual home insurance premium.
|Coverage Amount:||Annual Premium|
|1800 sq. ft. or below |
|Average Coverage:||$1468 /yr.|
|2600 sq. ft. or higher |
(all discounts applied)
What is the average home insurance cost for a home in San Antonio, TX?
- • The average homeowners insurance premium paid annually for a home in San Antonio is around $1468 per year.
What does it cost on average per month for home insurance in San Antonio, TX?
- • Homeowners in San Antonio pay an average cost per month around $122.00 for insurance coverage.
San Antonio, TX - 2023 Housing Information
|Month||Current Home Value (2023)||Last Year Home Value (2022)|
Homeowners insurance will help cover the cost to repair or replace your San Antonio home if it is damaged or destroyed by a covered peril, up to your coverage limits. A homeowners policy is made up of a few different coverages. Here are the most common coverages:
- Dwelling: This coverage will pay to repair or replace the structure of your home if it is damaged or destroyed. Review and Calculate Replacement Cost Coverage in San Antonio
- Liability: This coverage will help cover medical and legal bills if someone is injured in your home, slipping on an icy sidewalk for example. It also offers protection if you damage another person’s property, your child hitting a baseball through a neighbor’s window for example.
- Contents: This covers the cost to replace your personal possessions that are destroyed by a covered peril. Furniture, electronics, clothing and household goods are excellent examples. Contents coverage is often capped at 50% to 70% of your dwelling coverage.
- Other Structures: This coverage protects other structures on your property such as detached garages, outbuildings, barns, and sheds.
- Loss of use: This covers everyday costs that you incur if you cannot live in your home while it is being repaired due to a claim. It will pay hotel and restaurant bills and even the cost of dry cleaning.
Get up to 12 competitive San Antonio, TX homeowners insurance rates all in one place!
Saving Money Tips on San Antonio Home Insurance
A great way to save money on San Antonio homeowners insurance is to make sure you are getting all the discounts you are qualified to receive. Here are just a few of the most common discount’s insurers offer:
- Bundling: If you purchase your home and auto (or any other insurance coverage) from the same insurer, you should get a bundling discount. Expect to save 20%-25%.
- Secure your home: Adding a monitored security system, water leak sensors, deadbolts, and smoke detectors should result in a discount.
- Impact resistant roof: If you are replacing your roof, consider impact resistant roofing materials which help prevent hail and impact damage as well as resulting in a significant discount.
- Stay claim free: If you have been claim free for a number of years (five is a common requirement) your insurer should offer a claim free discount.
Are you shopping for the best rate near or wihin the San Antonio area? Check out what homeowners are paying on average for Texas homeowners insurance.
Elevation Review for Coastal Wind or Flooding Risk
|802 ft.||This is the average home elevation in San Antonio, TX||
Did you know that the elevation in which your home resides is crucial to a home insurance policy because it determines the risk factor related to your home being in a flood zone. It is important to understand that your home is not covered for floods under a standard homeowners policy. You will need to speak with a local Texas flood insurance agent about a flood insurance policy, please give us a call now at 888-620-1954.
To get online quotes on your home and compare rates on home insurance premiums in San Antonio, enter your zip code above and easily complete our online quoting application. Remember, it's important to speak with us about additional home insurance discounts so you can get the best rate for your home in Bexar County.
Texas Homeowners Insurance News & Information
9% Predicted Jump in Home Insurance Rates in 2023 Posted on Tuesday 25th April, 2023
According to a new report by online marketplace Insurify, average homeowner insurance premiums are headed up again in 2023. The report predicts that the average cost of homeowners insurance could jump up 9% which translates into about $150 increase for most homeowners. The pain will not be distributed equally, homeowners in some states will see […]
Get Cheaper Home Insurance by Using These Great Saving Tips Posted on Friday 19th August, 2022
Homeowner insurance rates are headed up in many states this year. Colorado’s new average rate is around $3,400, Oklahoma is now $3,300, Tennesse has also moved up on the list to an average home insurance rate of $3,000 per year. Kansas and Texas are both around $2,500 for the year. While your premium may be […]
Top 3 Reasons Homeowners Can Expect a 3% to 30% Rate Increase Posted on Monday 18th April, 2022
Interest rate hike due to inflation percentage rising up, FED, federal reserve or central bank monetary policy, economics or loan concept, businessman archery percentage arrow high up into the sky. There is a good chance that your homeowners insurance premium will be headed up this year. According to a recent S&P Global Market Intelligence report, homeowners […]
Wind & Hail Home Insurance Coverage Guide Posted on Monday 13th September, 2021
Home in Panama City, Florida suffers from wind and hail damage in 2018. This damaged house is from hurricane Michael. Hailstorms can do a tremendous amount of damage to your house and roof in very short amount of time and if you are not properly insured you could end up having to cover the cost […]
Am I underinsured for hurricane damage? Posted on Thursday 26th August, 2021
Tropical Storm Henri hit the Northeast pretty hard over the last week and for many homeowners the pain caused by the storm could just be getting started. Unfortunately, many homeowners may be underinsured or not have the right coverage in place when it comes to tropical storm and hurricane damage. A recent study by Policygenius […]
San Antonio, TX Dwelling Coverage Estimate
It is important to calculate your dwelling coverage for your home in San Antonio so you know what type of homeowners insurance coverage you need to cover your replacement cost. It is recommended to have enough dwelling coverage to rebuild your home if it was destroyed by a covered peril.
Please remember that replacement cost coverage does not include the cost of the land, only the price to rebuild your home, which is why we like to help customers by answering a few questions that you may have.
What is the average replacement cost coverage in San Antonio, TX?
- The average square footage in San Antonio is around 1,398 Sq. Ft. which would cost you around $180,328 to replace the home if you base the home on the price to build per square foot of $129.
Minimum Replacement Cost Total: $180,328
Location: San Antonio, Texas (Bexar County)
Average Building Cost Per Square Foot in San Antonio: $129 (low end)
Average Square Footage in San Antonio: 1,398 Sq. Ft.
|Home Improvement Status||Price per Sq. Ft.||Dwelling Coverage|
|None or Very Minor Improvements||$129||$180,328|
|Some Additional Upgrades||$161||$225,409|
|Major Home Updates or Advancements||$194||$270,491|
The dwelling coverage is calculated by the average cost per square foot ($129) in San Antonio, Texas times your heated square footage. Which would equal the cost to rebuild your home minus the cost of the property or land. Some homes will have a higher replacement cost due to home improvements like updated kitchens and bathrooms. Other upgrades may include: granite countertops, hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances. The national square foot average to build a brand new home is around 2500 square feet. So if you are looking to build, and your square footage of your new home is 2500, you are looking at a dwelling coverage premium of around $403,125 (Media price to build of $161 x 2500 sq. ft.) to cover the cost to rebuild your new home.
What is the difference between actual cash value and replacement cost value?
Homeowners insurance is available in both actual cash value (ACV) and replacement cost value (RCV). Knowing the difference is important:
Actual cash value: When valuing your personal possessions, an actual cash value policy will take depreciation into account. This means that your 10-year-old TV will be basically worthless according to your insurance company. While an ACV policy tends to be cheaper, if you have to make a claim you may be disappointed in your claim payout.
Replacement cost value: A RCV policy will replace your possessions with brand new items of similar quality regardless of how old they were at the time they were destroyed. While RCV policies are slightly more expensive, they are well worth the cost if you have to make a claim.