Get Savannah, GA Home Insurance Rates!
Around 136,286 people are living within the city of Savannah and the average family household is around 3 people per home. The total number of homes likely to be insured with a homeowners policy is around 61883 and the total number of occupied households is roughly 52545. Savannah homeowners are looking to easily compare insurance rates and coverage options with great prices and coverage that equals protection and peace of mind. At GetHomeInsuranceQuotes.com, we can shop up to 12 rates and coverage options among some of the best insurance providers in your area.
Home Insurance Cost in Savannah is a Bargain
Homeowners insurance pricing is very competitive in the city of Savannah. We pay an average annual premium of $1,403 while the rest of the country is paying a median price of $1,311. This means that Georgia ranks 15 in the country when it comes to the annual cost of paying for a homeowners policy.
|Avg. GA Rate||Discounts||Savings||Shop Rates|
|$1,403||up to 40% off||$561|
Types of Savannah Homeowners Coverage
Did you know there are different types of home insurance coverage options? Each one is specifically designed for a certain type of housing. Here is an overview of the common homeowners insurance types that consumers can purchase in Savannah.
- HO-3: This is by far the most common homeowners policy available. It will cover all perils, with the exception of certain perils listed on your policy, such as flooding and earthquake damage.
- HO-2: This is a very basic policy. It only covers damage from certain perils that are stated in the policy. If the peril is not listed, it will not be covered. Your personal property is also covered. Most home insurance agents don't recommend these policies except for the most basic coverage needs. An HO-2 policy is usually for homeowners with no mortgage and the current home they are living in is paid in full. Most mortgage providers will not allow homeowners to have an HO-2 policy.
- HO-4: The HO-4 policy is for renters. It will protect all of the personal property in your apartment, up to your policy limits, as well as offering liability coverage. The liability portion of the policy will protect your financial assets if someone is injured in your apartment. It will pay for any medical costs as well as defend you in a lawsuit if you happen to be sued. These polices are very affordable and should definitely be considered if you currently live in an apartment.
The city of Savannah has a median household income of $48,255 it is below the national average of $68,703. Housing is another great reason to live in Savannah with the average home costing $175,104.
|Total Occupied Households||52545|
|Family Households (families)||29948|
|Average Owner Occupied Household Size||2.43|
|Average Family Size||3.10|
|Total Housing Units||61883|
Compare Homeowners Insurance Rates in Savannah, GA!
Get up to 12 competitive Savannah, GA homeowners insurance rates all in one place!
Our Quoting Service in Savannah
We have been working with the top rated ("A+" A.M.) Georgia home insurance carriers for years and we can help you find the best coverage at an affordable price for your home in Savannah, GA.
It’s important when shopping for insurance to work with carriers that are dependable and financially secure. Our top-rated carriers include Liberty Mutual, Safeco Insurance, Tower Hill, ShoreOne, Kind Group Underwriting, AIG, Chubb, Travelers, National General, Heritage Insurance and the Georgia Underwriting Association
Average Rates Nearby Savannah
Are you looking for homeowners insurance in a city near Savannah? Review coverage options and average rates in your area by clicking your city below. We can help you shop home insurance rates!
- Bloomingdale, GA Home Insurance Quotes
- Pooler, GA Home Insurance Quotes
- Port Wentworth, GA Home Insurance Quotes
- Tybee Island, GA Home Insurance Quotes
Home Insurance Rates by Zipcode in Savannah, GA
Easily review average rates and get multiple homeowners insurance quotes by clicking your zip code below located in Savannah.
Savannah, GA Home Insurance Average Premiums
For the city of Savannah, homeowners insurance rates may vary on deductible, coverage amount and property details. Below is a list of the averages based on the cost of an annual home insurance premium.
|Coverage Amount:||Annual Premium|
|1800 sq. ft. or below |
|Average Coverage:||$1076 /yr.|
|2600 sq. ft. or higher |
(all discounts applied)
What is the average home insurance cost for a home in Savannah, GA?
- • The average homeowners insurance premium paid annually for a home in Savannah is around $1076 per year.
What does it cost on average per month for home insurance in Savannah, GA?
- • Homeowners in Savannah pay an average cost per month around $90.00 for insurance coverage.
Savannah, GA Coastal Wind, Hail & Flood Information
Savannah is located in a coastal county which greatly increases the risk of hurricanes and windstorms. Our quoting process will include wind and hail coverage options to give you the best protection you need against high winds and storm damage.
Flood Zone Notice: The beautiful coastal city of Savannah is know for it's beautiful beaches and waterways. Because Chatham County (FIPS: 13051) has a shoreline and is in a coastal area it is important to purchase flood insurance. The risk is very high in this area and we will work with you to provide the best flood insurance coverage you need for your home in Savannah, GA.
Savannah, GA - 2023 Housing Information
|Month||Current Home Value (2023)||Last Year Home Value (2022)|
Homeowners insurance will help cover the cost to repair or replace your Savannah home if it is damaged or destroyed by a covered peril, up to your coverage limits. A homeowners policy is made up of a few different coverages. Here are the most common coverages:
- Dwelling: This coverage will pay to repair or replace the structure of your home if it is damaged or destroyed. Review and Calculate Replacement Cost Coverage in Savannah
- Liability: This coverage will help cover medical and legal bills if someone is injured in your home, slipping on an icy sidewalk for example. It also offers protection if you damage another person’s property, your child hitting a baseball through a neighbor’s window for example.
- Contents: This covers the cost to replace your personal possessions that are destroyed by a covered peril. Furniture, electronics, clothing and household goods are excellent examples. Contents coverage is often capped at 50% to 70% of your dwelling coverage.
- Other Structures: This coverage protects other structures on your property such as detached garages, outbuildings, barns, and sheds.
- Loss of use: This covers everyday costs that you incur if you cannot live in your home while it is being repaired due to a claim. It will pay hotel and restaurant bills and even the cost of dry cleaning.
Get up to 12 competitive Savannah, GA homeowners insurance rates all in one place!
Saving Money Tips on Savannah Home Insurance
A great way to save money on Savannah homeowners insurance is to make sure you are getting all the discounts you are qualified to receive. Here are just a few of the most common discount’s insurers offer:
- Bundling: If you purchase your home and auto (or any other insurance coverage) from the same insurer, you should get a bundling discount. Expect to save 20%-25%.
- Secure your home: Adding a monitored security system, water leak sensors, deadbolts, and smoke detectors should result in a discount.
- Impact resistant roof: If you are replacing your roof, consider impact resistant roofing materials which help prevent hail and impact damage as well as resulting in a significant discount.
- Stay claim free: If you have been claim free for a number of years (five is a common requirement) your insurer should offer a claim free discount.
Are you shopping for the best rate near or wihin the Savannah area? Check out what homeowners are paying on average for Georgia homeowners insurance.
Elevation Review for Coastal Wind or Flooding Risk
|9 ft.||This is the average home elevation in Savannah, GA||
» Elevation is crucial to a homeowners insurance policy because it determines the risk of your home being in a flood zone which is particularly important in a coastal state such as Savannah, Georgia.
A standard homeowners policy does not cover flood damage. If you live in a flood prone area, you will need to purchase a separate flood to fully protect your home.
Flood insurance can be purchased via the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or in the private market. NFIP policies come with coverage caps and other restrictions so you may need to supplement your flood insurance coverage with a private market policy.
It's important to remember that flooding occurs in low and moderate risk areas as well. According to FEMA data, almost 25% of all flood claims come from low to moderate-risk areas.
To get online quotes on your home and compare rates on home insurance premiums in Savannah, enter your zip code above and easily complete our online quoting application. Remember, it's important to speak with us about additional home insurance discounts so you can get the best rate for your home in Chatham County.
Georgia Homeowners Insurance News & Information
Homeowners Prepare for Rate Increases Later This Year Posted on Monday 27th June, 2022
In most states, home insurance rates are headed up this year and homeowners should be prepared for further rate increases before the end of the year. According to a recent S&P Global Market Intelligence report, over 177 insurance carriers have filed requests for rate increases in 43 states, Arizona alone has seen 34 rate increase requests. […]
Hurricane Isaias is on the same track as Hurricane Dorian – What can we expect? Posted on Wednesday 5th August, 2020
Hurricane Isaias is on roughly the same track as Hurricane Dorian and is the first hurricane to hit the Bahamas since Dorian stalled over the islands as a Category 5 monster killing dozens of people and causing massive destruction. Here is a quick overview of both storms as well as a few tips on how […]
Georgia Coastal Home Insurance Coverage & Rates Posted on Wednesday 2nd October, 2019
Windstorm insurance is not a required coverage in Georgia, but if you live on the coast, it is certainly an insurance you should consider. In many coastal areas your mortgage lender will require that you carry a windstorm policy to make sure your home (and their investment) is full protected. Windstorm policies are designed to […]
Coastal Homeowners in Denial: FEMA urges homeowners to buy flood insurance Posted on Monday 23rd September, 2019
Congress is getting ready to send President Donald Trump the thirteenth 60-day extension of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) as the current one expires at the end of September. The NFIP has been in serious financial trouble for years but Congress has been unable to agree on how to fix the ailing program. The […]
Thousands of Homeowners in the path of Hurricane Dorian Cancelled Their Flood Insurance Posted on Wednesday 11th September, 2019
According to a recent analysis by E&E News of government data, tens of thousands of homeowners who were in the path of Hurricane Dorian dropped their flood insurance in recent years. The analysis found that both homeowners and owners of commercial buildings have been giving up their flood insurance policies despite the fact that their […]
Savannah, GA Dwelling Coverage Estimate
It is important to calculate your dwelling coverage for your home in Savannah so you know what type of homeowners insurance coverage you need to cover your replacement cost. It is recommended to have enough dwelling coverage to rebuild your home if it was destroyed by a covered peril.
Please remember that replacement cost coverage does not include the cost of the land, only the price to rebuild your home, which is why we like to help customers by answering a few questions that you may have.
What is the average replacement cost coverage in Savannah, GA?
- The average square footage in Savannah is around 1,435 Sq. Ft. which would cost you around $175,104 to replace the home if you base the home on the price to build per square foot of $122.
Minimum Replacement Cost Total: $175,104
Location: Savannah, Georgia (Chatham County)
Average Building Cost Per Square Foot in Savannah: $122 (low end)
Average Square Footage in Savannah: 1,435 Sq. Ft.
|Home Improvement Status||Price per Sq. Ft.||Dwelling Coverage|
|None or Very Minor Improvements||$122||$175,104|
|Some Additional Upgrades||$153||$218,880|
|Major Home Updates or Advancements||$183||$262,656|
The dwelling coverage is calculated by the average cost per square foot ($122) in Savannah, Georgia times your heated square footage. Which would equal the cost to rebuild your home minus the cost of the property or land. Some homes will have a higher replacement cost due to home improvements like updated kitchens and bathrooms. Other upgrades may include: granite countertops, hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances. The national square foot average to build a brand new home is around 2500 square feet. So if you are looking to build, and your square footage of your new home is 2500, you are looking at a dwelling coverage premium of around $381,250 (Media price to build of $153 x 2500 sq. ft.) to cover the cost to rebuild your new home.
What is the difference between actual cash value and replacement cost value?
Homeowners insurance is available in both actual cash value (ACV) and replacement cost value (RCV). Knowing the difference is important:
Actual cash value: When valuing your personal possessions, an actual cash value policy will take depreciation into account. This means that your 10-year-old TV will be basically worthless according to your insurance company. While an ACV policy tends to be cheaper, if you have to make a claim you may be disappointed in your claim payout.
Replacement cost value: A RCV policy will replace your possessions with brand new items of similar quality regardless of how old they were at the time they were destroyed. While RCV policies are slightly more expensive, they are well worth the cost if you have to make a claim.